Hugh MacPherson is Professor of Acupuncture Research at the Department of Health Sciences, University of York, Chair of the Trustees at the Northern College of Acupuncture, and Clinical Director at the York Clinic for Integrated Healthcare.
Hugh trained as a practitioner of acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine in the early 1980’s. He subsequently founded the Northern College of Acupuncture, based in York, and steered the College towards achieving university validation in 1995, the first acupuncture degree course in the UK. Hugh continues his involvement with the Northern College of Acupuncture, currently as Chair of the Trustees. Hugh also retains his clinical practice, working as the Clinical Director at the York Clinic for Integrated Healthcare where he works as an acupuncturist.
As a result of his interest in research, Hugh set up the Foundation for Research into Traditional Chinese Medicine in 1993 and subsequently joined the Department of Health Sciences, University of York, as a Senior Research Fellow in 2003. He has been supported by grants of around £3 million in total over the last 10 years, including a Career Scientist Award, a Research for Patient Benefit Grant and by a Programme Grant for Applied Research, all from UK’s National Institute for Health Research, and by Arthritis Research UK.
Hugh's recent research has focused on conducting clinical trials and systematic reviews to evaluate the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of acupuncture for a variety of conditions. He has also conducted surveys to establish the relative safety of acupuncture and neuroimaging studies to explore the physiological processes associated with acupuncture. For a full list of his projects, see here, and he has published over 100 peer-reviewed scientific papers.
Hugh is the lead editor of the books "Acupuncture in Practice" and “Acupuncture research: strategies for building an evidence base” and, with Volker Scheid, a co-editor of the book, “The integration of East Asian medicine into contemporary healthcare”, all published by Elsevier.
- Journal articles
- Edited books
- Acupuncture for chronic pain (ATC)
- Acupuncture & Counselling for Depression Project (ACUDep)
- Acupuncture for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (AcIBS)
- Acupuncture for Osteoarthritis of the Knee (OAK)
- Acupuncture & Alexander Technique for Chronic Neck Pain
- Mapping the practice of acupuncture in the UK
- Scoping Study on Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Mechanisms in the management of back pain
- Acupuncture for Back Pain Project (YacBac)
- Acupuncture for Non-cardiac Chest Pain
- Acupuncture Safety Projects
- Chinese Herbs Safety Project
- Neuroimaging of Acupuncture Projects
- Media and press